Friday, April 23, 2010

My Days as a Child














Hello, and welcome to my blog about Thomas Edison. I hope you enjoy different sections that I have researched on this unique person that changed the world. Enjoy my blogs :)

Hey guys I was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio to my wonderful parents Samuel & Nancy Edison. My parents had seven children, including me, but unfortunately three died. I had two sisters named Marion and Harriet Ann, and one brother named William Pitt. In 1854, when I was seven, my family and I moved to Port Huron, Michigan. One day in 1859, I convinced my mom and dad to let me work on the Grand Trunk Railroad as a candy butcher, and earned my money that way. (A candy butcher, just in case you didn't know, was a person who sold candy, dried fruits, newspapers, and books to passengers while aboard the railroad.) While working on this railroad, my boss let me store my belongings in one storage cart, that was empty, and I would work long hours experimenting, once I was finished with my work. I became going deaf at a young age, and couldn't hear that well, and many people have theories about while I was going deaf, but no one really ever knew.


Since I was very curious, this always had gotten me in trouble at my young age. One day my curiosity caught on to me, once again. I was experimenting in my baggage compartment lab, and the train pitched forward, unexpectedly, and one of my chemical bottles flew off the shelf onto the floor and caught fire. Of course, I couldn't control the flames and was soon fired from my job. One day, I saved a man's life, and he thanked me by getting me a job as a tramp telegraph operator in various cities of the Midwest and Canada. From 1863-1868, I was a telegrapher, sending important news to people. I was 21 by then and while sleeping on my job, got fired and then went to work for Western Union in Boston, Massachusetts as a telegraph operator. I worked nights at Western Union, and days working on my experiments.
































































No comments:

Post a Comment